Skip to Content

Knowledge Center



Woman holding a multi-gas testing device

Why it is important to test for radon, lead and carbon monoxide:

Radon, lead, and carbon monoxide are silent dangers that could be in your home. Test for each of them to ensure that you and your family are not exposed to these hazards.

Radon:

Illustration of how radon gets into a homeIt is important to test for radon because it is a cancer causing, radioactive gas. According to the Surgeon General, radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in America. Although radon is a very dangerous gas that could be in your home, you are not able to smell, taste, or see radon.

The only way to know if your home has a problem with radon is to test for it. You can buy your own testing kit from a hardware store, or you can hire a qualified radon tester to do it for you.

EPA recommends that you take steps to reduce your radon levels if your test results are 4 pCi/L or higher. Even if your home has high levels of radon, it is possible to fix the problem and reduce your radon to an acceptable level with the help of a professional.

Lead:

If you have any children in your home, lead can cause health and behavioral problems for them, especially if they are under the age of six years old. Lead can also be harmful to pregnant women and their unborn children. You should consider testing for lead if your home was built before 1978.

Workers in full body suits removing lead paint with tape in the foreground that says LEAD HAZARD Work Area Keep OutYou are able to test for lead by sending a paint and soil sample to a lab, or you can hire a certified assessor to do it for you.

If you do find hazardous levels of lead in your paint or soil, make sure your children under the age of six are tested for lead poisoning by your family doctor. You should also hire a state certified lead contractor who can help you reduce the lead hazards in your house and soil.

Carbon Monoxide:

Illustration of CO2 with a blue cloudCarbon monoxide is another colorless, odorless gas. It can cause flu-like symptoms so you wouldn’t know you had a carbon monoxide problem unless you have a working carbon monoxide detector properly installed in your home.

Carbon monoxide detectors should be installed in EVERY sleeping room in the house, every hallway, and every additional level of your home including the basement. Carbon monoxide detectors should be ideally at knee level, but they can be installed at chest level if you have children. Make sure carbon monoxide detectors are not blocked by furniture or curtains.

Simple tests for radon, lead, and carbon monoxide can ensure that you and your family are safe from these invisible threats.